The Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life strives to operate its community partnership activities in accordance with the following principles:
- To focus its programs in communities where Tufts University campuses are located: Boston’s Chinatown, Medford, Somerville, Grafton, and the Mystic River watershed in Massachusetts; and Talloires, France.
- To plan, conduct, and manage teaching, service and research activities in full collaboration with community partners. To take into consideration the impressive assets of local communities as well as the problems and challenges that they face.
- To fully orient and prepare people from Tufts to be effective in their community work. To elevate the knowledge of community representatives about Tufts. To maximize both (a) contributions to the education of Tufts students and to faculty research, and (b) benefits to communities.
- To support university and community representatives to jointly define high standards of quality, and to produce work that meets these standards. To document, evaluate and disseminate information about both educational outcomes and community benefits.
- To support and elevate faculty participation in community partnerships through their teaching, research and public service activities.