The Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service are pleased to announce that we are accepting recommendations and applications for the Honos Civicus Society Class of 2015 at TUSM. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating fourth year students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Tufts University School of Medicine. Honos Civicus provides an opportunity to celebrate and reflect upon TUSM’s community involvement while creating an alumni network of health professionals who are excited to continue their commitment to active citizenship throughout their careers.
We invite M15 students interested in Honos Civicus to apply. We also invite students, faculty, staff, and community partners to recommend deserving members of the Tufts University School of Medicine Class of 2015 for consideration for the Honos Civicus Society. Students do not need to be recommended in order to apply, but they must apply in order to be considered.
Strong candidates will have:
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements. (The CSL requirement for MD students; the ALE for MD/MPH students).
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication within community service project(s).
- Made a positive impact.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- A strong academic record.
Students will be ineligible if they have more than one interim failure of a preclinical course or any permanent failures in any course.
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition at a ceremony of Class of 2015 Tufts Tufts Dental, Medical, PHPD, and Nutrition students accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the commencement program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Features on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of active citizen health professionals.
Applications will be reviewed by the Honos Civicus Subcommittee of the Community Service Learning Steering Committee, which includes representatives from Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, faculty members from the School of Medicine, and representatives from both TUSM’s Office of Student Affairs and Office of Educational Affairs.
The application timeline for the Class of 2015 will be:
January 1, 2015: Recommendation and Application process is open
Friday, February 6th, 2015: Last day to submit RECOMMENDATIONS.
Friday, February 13th, 2015: Last day to submit an APPLICATION.
Friday, April 3rd, 2015: Announcement of Class of 2015 Honos Civicus Society
Tuesday, May 12th, 12-2pm: Honos Civicus Society Induction Ceremony and Luncheon
If you’d like to recommend that someone apply to Honos Civicus, please complete the recommendation form.