The Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service are pleased to announce that we are accepting recommendations and applications for the Honos Civicus Society Class of 2016 at TUSM. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating fourth year students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Tufts University School of Medicine. Honos Civicus provides an opportunity to celebrate and reflect upon TUSM’s community involvement while creating an alumni network of health professionals who are excited to continue their commitment to active citizenship throughout their careers.
We invite M16 students interested in Honos Civicus to apply. We also invite students, faculty, staff, and community partners to recommend deserving members of the Tufts University School of Medicine Class of 2016 for consideration for the Honos Civicus Society. Students do not need to be recommended in order to apply, but they must apply in order to be considered.
Strong candidates will have:
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements. (The CSL requirement for MD students; the ALE for MD/MPH students).
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication within community service project(s).
- Made a positive impact.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- A strong academic record.
Students will be ineligible if they have more than one interim failure of a preclinical course or any permanent failures in any course.
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition at a ceremony of Class of 2016 Tufts health sciences graduate students accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the commencement program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Features on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of active citizen health professionals.
Applications will be reviewed by the Honos Civicus Subcommittee of the Community Service Learning Steering Committee, which includes representatives from Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, faculty members from the School of Medicine, and representatives from both TUSM’s Office of Student Affairs and Office of Educational Affairs.
The application timeline for the Class of 2016 will be:
DATE TBD: Recommendation and Application process is open
Friday, February 5, 2016: Last day to submit RECOMMENDATIONS.
Friday, February 12, 2016: Last day to submit an APPLICATION.
Monday, April 4, 2016: Announcement of Class of 2016 Honos Civicus Society
Tuesday, May 17, 12:00-2:00 p.m.: Honos Civicus Society Induction Ceremony and Luncheon
If you’d like to recommend that someone apply to Honos Civicus, please complete the recommendation form.