The Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM) and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service are pleased to announce that we are accepting recommendations and applications for the Honos Civicus Society Class of 2015 at TUSDM. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating predoctoral and postdoctoral students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. Honos Civicus provides an opportunity to celebrate and reflect upon TUSDM’s community involvement while creating an alumni network of health professionals who are excited to continue their commitment to active citizenship throughout their careers.
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition at a ceremony of the Class of 2015 Tufts Dental, Medical, and Nutrition students and residents accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the Senior Biography publication and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Featured on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of active citizen health professionals.
Strong candidates will have:
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement. (This must be beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements which include the required off-site rotations and community service learning externship.)
- Demonstrated dedication and/or leadership.
- Made a positive impact on the community served and on you as an individual.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Must be in good academic and professional standing.
The application includes:
- Description of your community service/civic engagement.
- Summary statement of the impact on the community/communities served and on you as an individual.
- Essay Question (Choice of one of three prompts)
Applicants must complete the online application by midnight, Friday, February 20.
- Applications for the Class of 2015 are due by midnight on Friday, February 20
- Honorees will be notified by Friday, March 27
- Recognition luncheon will be held on Tuesday, May 12th from 12-2:00 pm
Jump to application
The application review will be blinded and your application will be judged on the following attributes: Leadership, Effort, Consistency, Continuity and Sustainability
- The length and depth of your community service/civic engagement involvement.
- The degree to which your community service/civic engagement has made a lasting and/or meaningful contribution or impact on the community served.
- The extent to which your community service/civic engagement has made a lasting and/ or meaningful impact on you as an individual.
- Quality of your application.
Applicants will receive a notification of acceptance or non-acceptance by Friday, March 27.
Review Committee Members:
- Kathryn Dolan, Assistant Professor, Department of Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM, Adjunct Faculty,Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service
- Carrie Garinger, Associate Director of Student Affairs, TUDSM
- Robert Kasberg, Associate Dean, Admissions and Student Affairs, TUSDM
- John Morgan, Associate Professor, Department of Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM, Adjunct Faculty Tisch College
- Jane Steffensen, Associate Professor, Department of Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM
- Wanda Wright, Assistant Professor, Department of Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM, Adjunct Faculty Tisch College
- Cynthia Yered-Mclaughlin, Clinical Associate Professor, Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM
- Former Honos Civicus recipient – TBA
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the honos civicus and/or the application process.
- To aid in the application process, Nancy Marks, TUSDM Community Service Learning Coordinator, Department of Public Health and Community Service, TUSDM will hold an optional workshop(s) to help you develop your application. – date(s) to be announced.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is active citizenship?
Active citizenship includes the ability to:
- Think critically about civic problems
- Engage effectively with diverse individuals and communities
- Communicate powerfully
- Collaborate effectively with individuals and groups
- Understand your own values, motivations, passions and ethics and act on them
- Recognize one’s responsibility to a larger community
What types of activities should I have participated in to apply for Honos Civicus?
Suggested activities and/or combination of activities – above and beyond degree requirements – include but are not limited to the following:
- Community outreach through TUSDM student organization(s) or self-initiated volunteer service through membership in non-University affiliated program that involves underserved or vulnerable community or population group(s).
- Leadership role in TUSDM student organization(s) involved in community service.
- Public health related research project that is self-initiated or supported by the student research fellowship program.
- Extensive participation in dental public health journal club and associated community or public policy activities.
- Elective public health coursework and associated community or public policy activities.
- Significant contribution through public health advocacy.
- Written works (e.g., featured story, newsletter article, reflection or journal article).
- Innovative idea/product (e.g., website, downloadable app, teaching/learning technique, product line, other).
Do I need to be nominated in order to apply?
There is NO nomination requirement for Honos Civicus. If you have participated in community service or civic engagement above and beyond what is required at TUSDM, you may apply directly for Honos Civicus by completing the application on this website.
If you are a graduating predoctural student or postdoctoral resident interested in being considered for the Honos Civicus Society, please complete the following application and submit by midnight, February 20th.
Please check back soon for the 2015 application.