The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for the Honos Civicus Society Class of 2017 at the Cummings School. Honos Civicus, Latin for “Civic Honors,” celebrates and publicly recognizes graduating Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and graduate students who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to community service and civic engagement during their studies at the Cummings School. Honos Civicus provides an opportunity to celebrate and reflect upon the Cummings School’s community involvement while creating an alumni network of professionals who are excited to continue their commitment to civic engagement throughout their careers.
The benefits of membership in the Honos Civicus Society include:
- Recognition by the Dean, of those accepted into the Honos Civicus Society.
- Recognition at graduation, with a notation in the Commencement program and an Honos Civicus pin for the commencement gown.
- Featured on the Tisch College website and other Tufts University publications.
- Membership in the Honos Civicus alumni group, an alumni network of active citizen health professionals.
Strong candidates will have:
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and civic engagement. (This must be beyond the minimum expected for degree requirements, which includes the required rotation for DVM students at Tufts at Tech)
- Demonstrated dedication and/or leadership.
- Made a positive impact on the community served and on you as an individual.
- An outstanding record of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Good academic and professional standing.
The application includes:
- Description of your community service/civic engagement.
- Summary statement of the impact on the community/communities served and on you as an individual.
- Essay Question (Choice of one of three prompts)
- Applications are due Monday, March 13
- Honorees will be notified on April 10
- The recognition luncheon date will be announced in early Spring.
Jump to the application
Review of Application
The application review will be blinded and your application will be judged on the following attributes: Leadership, Effort, Consistency, Continuity and Sustainability
- The length and depth of your community service/civic engagement involvement.
- The degree to which your community service/civic engagement has made a lasting and/or meaningful contribution or impact on the community served.
- The extent to which your community service/civic engagement has made a lasting and/ or meaningful impact on you as an individual.
- Quality of your application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is civic engagement?
Civic engagement includes the ability to:
- Think critically about civic problems
- Engage effectively with diverse individuals and communities
- Communicate powerfully
- Collaborate effectively with individuals and groups
- Understand your own values, motivations, passions and ethics and act on them
- Recognize one’s responsibility to a larger community
What types of activities should I have participated in to apply for Honos Civicus?
Suggested activities and/or combination of activities—above and beyond degree requirements—include but are not limited to the following:
- Community outreach through Cummings School student organization(s) or self-initiated volunteer service through membership in non-University affiliated program that involves underserved or vulnerable community or population group(s).
- Leadership role in Cummings School student organization(s) involved in community service.
- Population health (human and animal) related research projects that are self-initiated or may be supported by student research fellowship programs.
- Elective coursework incorporating active citizenship and associated community outreach.
- Significant contribution through public health and animal health advocacy.
- Written works (e.g., featured story, newsletter article, reflection or journal article).
- Innovative idea/product (e.g., website, downloadable app, teaching/learning technique, product line, other).
Do I need to be nominated in order to apply?
There is NO nomination requirement for Honos Civicus. If you have participated in community service or civic engagement above and beyond what is required in the curriculum, you may apply directly for Honos Civicus by completing the application below.
For more information
Please contact Megan Kiely Mueller at Megan.Mueller@tufts.edu.